Sunday 31 March 2013

Haven Hereford - Change 2 - Personal Change and Identity

In  keeping with our theme our second session took place a week late as we cancelled January 18th due to snow! 

So our second session on "Change" took place on January 25th 2013.  We discussed the fascinating question of identity.   Our two main poems for the day were "When I was one-and-twenty" by A E Houseman and "Return to Cardiff" by Dannie Abse.




A. E. Housman (1859–1936).  A Shropshire Lad.  1896.

XIII. When I was one-and-twenty




WHEN I was one-and-twenty
  I heard a wise man say,
‘Give crowns and pounds and guineas
  But not your heart away;

Give pearls away and rubies
  But keep your fancy free.’
But I was one-and-twenty,
  No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
  I heard him say again,
‘The heart out of the bosom
  Was never given in vain;
’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
  And sold for endless rue.’
And I am two-and-twenty,
  And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.


Here's a sample of the wonderful Dannie Abse poem:

Return to Cardiff
Dannie Abse
   
'Hometown'; well, most admit an affection for a city:
grey, tangled streets I cycled on to school, my first cigarette
in the back lane, and, fool, my first botched love affair.
First everything. Faded torments; self-indulgent pity.

The last verse captures in words that sense of trying to experience the past in the present: 

No sooner than I'd arrived the other Cardiff had gone,
smoke in the memory, these but tinned resemblances,
where the boy I was not and the man I am not
met, hesitated, left double footsteps, then walked on.


Also in response to one of the quotations about change Hilary created a short story:



Change in Inevitable—except from a vending machine.

Hilary Robinson 



“What do you think you are doing?” the smartly dressed young woman—couture tweed coat, buckled high heeled shoes and massive and massively expensive bag, glared at the older woman (jeans, denim jacket, boots, long hair). The latter withdrew her hand from the station vending machine. “Look!” A bar of Kit Kat and a twenty pence coin nestled in it, “You see people are in such a rush they don’t stop for their change.”  
“But you didn’t put any money in. You can’t take that. It isn’t yours.” 
“I’d gladly give it to whosever it is.”
They looked up and down the empty platform, “Well I don’t want any of it.” The young girl almost stamped her well heeled foot.
“Please yourself but think of all the times a machine has gobbled up your money and not given you change.”
“I try not to use such machines. The chocolate is probably damp and out of date. Not that that bothers you!”
“Well no the date stamp doesn’t as you know. Your own common sense is better to go by. They just encourage waste, which I should think you were against, all that landfill when one can’t give it to the pigs anymore. Chocolate isn’t good for you I agree. We don’t eat it often. Things have changed. Of course when I was a child there was still rationing, so I guess we did go a bit crazy afterwards. When I was your age I was often too poor to buy chocolate.”
“That’s because you went on being a student for ever.”
“Don’t exaggerate. And we were poor.”
“Yes but you had GRANTS imagine that. Fees paid, Accommodation paid. No student loans for you. And you were never really poor as people are today. Families starving. And even student loans taxed.”
“Darling must we quarrel now?”
                   The young girl gave her mother a smile, “No of course not. But you were privileged not poor.”
   “Both I think. There were times when I couldn’t buy a train ticket home from University.”
   “I know and you hid in the loo until the ticket inspector had gone by. And jumped over a fence at the other end of the journey so as to get out of the station without a ticket. Disgraceful!”
    “I used to hitch-hike until it wasn’t safe. I only once gave the wrong name and address when I was caught by the inspector and didn’t have any money.”
   “Whereas today one  hands over ones credit card and pays with interest!”
                      The train chugged in to the station and stopped noisily. It was almost empty and they easily found their carriage and seats. “Why are the seats always facing the opposite way from what we book?” asked the daughter grumpily.
   Because the train must have been doing the journey the other way round. They’d be the right way if we were coming back. They just can’t work it out.”
   “Well I suppose we can sit the way we like as those facing us are empty?”
   “Yes let’s.” They stored their heavy cases in the luggage section, and settled themselves in their chosen seats. “Next stop Paddington! You were right to choose this train. It’s slower but that change at Newport is killing.”
   “It’s the end,” agreed her mother “we always have to change platforms, and if the lift isn’t working it hauling cases up and down stairs and the train will never wait. The number of times I’ve watched it pull out just as I get to the platform.”
   “And the announcements are always in Welsh which nobody understands, especially the Welsh!”
   “Well here we are.” The mother got out a book. The daughter got out her knitting, “Did you ever knit much?”
  “Only when I had to be in the house looking after you and then only if I was watching television. It seems strange to me how much you all knit today.”

“ALL OFF AT WORCESTER FOREGATE STREET.” Mother and daughter looked at each other in horror.
   “We’ve got to change?”
   “Seems like it.”
                 The train shuddered to a halt. “ALL OFF. THOSE FOR PADDINGTON PLEASE BOARD THE TRAIN WAITING ON PLATFORM 2.”
They found their luggage, dragged it off and joined a small group of people who’d been ejected from the next carriage. And the next…and the next…and the next. All were quite elderly, all clutching cases and all had chosen that train because it was a through train to London. Groaning, moaning, sighing, and almost crying, they struggled up the stairs and over the bridge. There was no staff to help. It was a strange journey across England with two more changes. Eventually, very late, the train drew into Euston Station. There were no announcement but one which said it was the end of the journey. Nobody knew about tubes or the underground taxis to Paddington where some were being met by family and friends; some had hotels booked around the corner from Paddington Station.
   “Have some Kit-Kat.”
   “Thanks Mum.”
They ate their chocolate pensively while they surrendered to the inevitable expense and joined the taxi queue.
   “You know Mum,” she sighed as she looked at her mother’s mountain of cases, “I hate to say this but in all ways, the less baggage the easier it is to change.”



.







No comments:

Post a Comment