Tuesday 24 May 2011

Creative Words @ the Haven, Six Poets and Vintage Jewellery


For this ongoing series of workshops I decided to focus on one contemporary poet each week. So far we have looked at Colette Bryce and George Szirtes.   The work shown here was inspired by 3 poems by Colette Bryce - Wish You Were, +, and The Wearer.   The final poem was the result of the poet's work with the V&A and was based on a particular necklace from the collection.  See http://www.vam.ac.uk/
Fired up by all this people wrote about jewellery for "homework" based on a series of V&A postcards of vintage pieces.
Necklace

Pauline Apperley

Necklace like macaroni
Hair auburn red and wet
From the shower straight out of bed
Chunky, not sapphire or pearls
Ornament for young girls
Fashions change, we must follow them
To look attractive, keep our men
There is something to be said for looking good !
It does look good, I knew it would.

I had a garnet, ruby red
I lost it, that’s where it led
I look at the necklace, the one like macaroni
And wonder what its fate will be
The wearer likes green hearts and orangey beads
But the heart has a crack in it
As if the heart bleeds
A path lies ahead, entwined in this artistry.



The Brooch
Helen Crook

Dark green leaves given form and life, then enamelled
Varnishing them into timeless  suspension.
Pale luminescent cream buds hang bowed solemnly
Timed at ten past two. Closing my eyes you are here.

Your coat matched your lipstick,’ Moulin Rouge’.
The brooch resplendent against the blood red
large lapel of your capacious coat. My head held firm
embraced to your left breast, my ear imprinted with
Lily of the Valley, long after you left.




One more came in later from Annie who had a car accident after the workshop and had taken home a picture of a jewel from the V and A collection.  We all wish her well.


Jewel

Annie Booth
  
Women reach down through the ages
The really, truly sages
A peach of a protective pendant
Perhaps slumbering dormant
Come to me through five hundred years
And bringing with it what tears?

Chosen by me from many
Offering sisterly company
To see me through near-death
You do not slumbereth

From the other side of your work
You do not shirk
All the pain of your life
All the sadness and strife

I feel it as you reach out
This time - no shout
Just  - Why, why again?
Then peace I did attain

Thank you for my life
I am truly a wife
Come nearer, nearer, nearer
My sixteenth century wearer

Your jewel is called protective
Is that personal or collective?
Beauty on many levels
Shining through all the bevels

Angels must be time travellers




And another piece - a sort of prose poem by Sue based on a heart and key.















REGARD
Sue Davies

My eye is caught by the sudden glint of gold and flash of semi-precious gemstones winking up at me from the dark depths of my jewellery box.

How long have you languished there, hunkered down in that corner among soft red velvet? How long has it been since I last wore you around my neck, felt the warmth of you resting on my breasts?

I cannot bear to wear you, nor part with you; for I still like to fool myself into thinking that you were once given to me with love.

He said he loved me and proudly told me that your gemstones were so arranged in order to spell out the word ‘regard’.
Ruby, Emerald, Garnet, Amethyst, Ruby and Diamond.

I felt a twinge of nervousness when he placed you around my neck and kissed me, professing to love me forever. Regard seemed such a casual term, not that I wanted to seem ungrateful, but in all honesty alarm bells did sound.

I hold you in my hands and my warmth spreads into you making you feel alive.
I remember now why it is so long since I last looked at you, because the pain of longing for lost love pierces my chest, almost bringing me to my knees.

Enough, enough, I am still not ready to deal with this.
Back into the soft velvet you go, rest there until I can look upon you more objectively.  How long that may take in all honesty I cannot say, but who knows, one day I may be able to regard you in a better light.



Coming up - Carol Ann Duffy, Kathleen Jamie, Brian Patten and Maura Dooley. 






No comments:

Post a Comment