Monday 23 May 2011

A poem by Rhian


Shining Through the Centuries
Rhian Morris

(written in the foyer of the Museum Resource and Learning Centre, Hereford, one early morning in May 2011)

It was absolute bliss just waiting there
I had time - for once - to sit and stare
To look around at the history
Herefordshire history laid out for me
A chance to discover the things to be found
If we just take our time to look around
Resting, relaxing ‘mid cream and blue
Where ancient and modern combine, for me, for you.

The silence was golden as the sunshine creeping through
The panes in the rooftops, the glass displays too.
Shining on the silver trophies and displays
The laurels crowning the emperor in purple array
Italian, Greek pottery, Delftware drug-jar
Stalactite, minerals, jewellery from afar.

Weapons forged and used by men of long ago
Protecting friends and family from every kind of foe
A collection of beetles - I’m glad they’re in a cage
Not my idea of fun at any price or age!
I felt more at home with the grand old clock and doll’s pram
Yes, it’s absolutely lovely, I’m happy where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment